Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 21: Storms and Recovery

Being born and raised in Miami, I know one very important thing about South Florida:  we only have three seasons - Spring, Summer and Hurricane.

Sunday marked the arrival of this year's first Tropical Storm in South Florida - a tiny badass named Isaac.  So, we boarded up our houses, cleared all the bottled water from the shelves, and huddled inside our houses as we waited for the big bad storm.

Then we sat inside, watching the 24 hour news coverage.

8:00 am:  "As the first bands of Tropical Storm Isaac reach South Florida, we can catch just a glimpse of the torrential rainfall we are to expect."  (imagine someone just out of range of the camera dipping their fingers into water and splashing it at the reporter)

8:05 am:  "It's stopped raining for the time being, but we all know - the worst is yet to come."

8:15 am:  Camera sweeps over a wet street, focusing on a dead palm frond that has fallen on the road.  "As you can see, folks - the devastating affects of T.S. Isaac has only begun"

8:20 am:  "Well, Bob - as you can see behind me, the rain is practically a deluge"

8:21 am:  "It seems that the rain has stopped...for now.  Back to you, Bob."


I'm not complaining - the "Severe Tropical Storm" with "Hurricane Force Winds" gave me the perfect opportunity to sleep in and recover from my friend's late night party.  And, given the fact that my throat was incredibly sore and my body was aching - I needed it.

Come to think of it, I think my friend's party may have been more destructive than the storm!  lol

Unfortunately, I've had a deep, rumbling in my chest that has led to an irritating, painful cough.  Not sure where it all came from, but I'm hoping some Dayquil and Nyquil will knock it out soon.  Meanwhile - I sound like a chain smoker from hell!  lol

Tomorrow is my three week weigh-in, so I'm anxious to see my results - although slightly concerned that my scale might act up again.

On one final note, I am constantly surprised by the people who are following my journey.  I keep recieving these random little shout outs from people that I would not have expected.  It is always a pleasant surprise and a wonderful little boost to keep me going.  If you're following me - DON'T BE SHY!  Lurkers are selfish and my laughs are not for free.  (lol)  So, send me a little shout-out and let me know you're there!

Love and Squishes,
ChuChi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! If you are an unregistered user, please sign your comment with a name or nickname so that I know who I am talking to. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!